Yes, they are May numbers, NPD is late by a month due to "IT" problems. They might have well blamed it only oil spill crisis.
PlayStation 3 154.5K
Xbox 360 194.6K
Nintendo DS 383.7K
Last May for comparison:
Wii - 289,500
Xbox 360 - 175,000
PS3 - 131,000
NDS - 633,500
PSP - 100,400
Ok numbers. Overall, most systems sold more than the previous May, except for the PSP & DS. The PSP is dead. Sony's solution this year to save the PSP is not to spend more money on more games, but to advertise heavily with the new "Meet PSP Marcus" campaign:
The Top Ten in Software:
RED DEAD REDEMPTION 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 945.9K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION PS3 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 567.1K
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-10 563.9K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ May-10 221.1K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED PS3 THQ May-10 192.3K
WII FIT PLUS W/BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09
ALAN WAKE * 360 MICROSOFT May-10
POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10
SKATE 3 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS May-10
1.UFC 2009 Undisputed (X360) - 679,600
2.Wii Fit (Wii) - 352,800
3.EA Sports Active (Wii) - 352,800
4.UFC 2009 Undisputed (PS3) - 345,800
5.inFamous (PS3) - 334,400
6.Pokemon Platinum (NDS) - 175,900
7.Mario Kart Wii - 158,300
8.Punch-Out!! (Wii) - 156,900
9.X-Men Origins: Wolverine (X360) - 120,700
10.Wii Play (Wii) - 109,800
- UFC Undisputed 2010, the sequel to last year's hit, bombed. It made nowhere near the numbers, indicating that this might not be a sports franchise that can be milked yearly like Tiger Woods, NBA2K, or Madden.
- Alan Wake also tanked, selling less than 190k in it's release.
- Major releases that also sold horribly: Modnation Racers (18th place), Split/Second, Blur, Lost Planet 2 (11th place).
- Red Dead Redemption sold 1.5 million copies combined making it the only standout hit. It's constantly in the top 3 of Live's most played games of the week, expect a strong second month for this game.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 sold really well. It's hard to tell by the numbers, but it was released late in the month with less than a week's worth of sales.
- The horrible sales debut of Blur and Split Second continues a trend of car games not performing well outside of the major players: Forza, Grand Turismo, Mario Kart, and Need for Speed. Blur, thought of by Activision as their next Call of Duty in car mode, sold just 31,000 in all systems combined.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades